EXPLORER PASS (2.5hr Return Tour)
kunanyi/Mt Wellington Tour | Departs Daily | Hop-On Hop-Off
kunanyi/Mt Wellington Explorer Bus is the official shuttle bus for kunanyi/Mt Wellington. Tours depart daily from Hobart’s waterfront to the summit of kunanyi/Mt Wellington. Rising 1270 metres above sea level, experience spectacular views over Hobart and southern Tasmania.
At the summit of kunanyi/Mt Wellington, you’ll have 30 minutes to visit the observation shelter and take in panoramic views from the lookouts. Then hop back on the bus for the return journey down the mountain to Hobart.
Also, if you’re looking for a little more adventure, you have the option to hop-on and hop-off at five Wellington Park bus stops. Explore a wide range of short walks or mountain bike trails on kunanyi/Mt Wellington. The mountain features a surprisingly diverse landscape from shaded fern gullies to tall eucalypt forests and alpine boulder fields. Enjoy the natural beauty and serenity at your own pace, then hop-on a later bus to return to Hobart.
Enjoy informative commentary from your driver as you learn all about the history and wildlife of Hobart’s beloved kunanyi/Mt Wellington. As well as significant landmarks and local tips on what to see and do on the mountain.
kunanyi/Mt Wellington Explorer Bus is also the only tour company with exclusive access to kunanyi/Mt Wellington when Pinnacle Road is closed due to snow.
Bus pass valid all day.
kunanyi/MT WELLINGTON BUS STOPS
Fern Tree Park
Adult (17+ years): $40
Concession (Students/Seniors): $35
Child (6–16years): $25
Infant (<5 years): No charge
2.5 hour return tour from Hobart to kunanyi/Mt Wellington, including 30 minutes on the summit.
Opposite the Tasmanian Travel & Information Centre, 4 Elizabeth Street in Hobart (outside the Hydro Tasmania building).
If you’ve booked bike freight, your bike MUST be loaded at the Brooke Street Pier pick-up point at least 20 minutes prior to departure.
7 days a week, all year round.
Closed Christmas Day (25 December)
- Explorer Pass for kunanyi/Mt Wellington Explorer Bus.
- Informative local guide commentary.
- Complimentary Wellington Park bushwalking map.
- Free Wi-Fi available onboard the bus.
GOOD TO KNOW
- Pre-booking is essential for this tour.
- The temperature on kunanyi/Mt Wellington is about 10°C cooler than the temperature in Hobart city. There’s a chance you’ll experience four seasons in one day with sunshine, wind and rain – even snow is a possibility! So make sure to bring a warm jacket and check the weather before you go.
- Visit our Map & Timetable page to plan your day on kunanyi/Mt Wellington. There’s also a range of activities listed on our Bushwalking and Mountain Biking pages.
- There’s limited access to food and water on kunanyi/Mt Wellington. Bring your own or visit Lost Freight Cafe (open 7 days) at The Springs or Fern Tree Tavern (open Wednesday to Sunday) near Fern Tree Park.
- kunanyi/Mt Wellington Explorer buses can carry 4 mountain bikes on each departure. To reserve a space for your bike, please make sure to include bike freight ($10 per bike) at the time of booking your bus pass, at least 30 minutes prior to departure. Most importantly, bikes MUST be loaded at the Brooke Street Pier pick-up point at least 20 minutes prior to departure.
Our primary fleet of buses are wheelchair accessible. However, some bus services may not be wheelchair accessible. So it’s most important to let us know before your tour. Reserve a wheelchair space when you book. Simply fill in the “Special Requirements” field. Or contact our booking office to discuss any specific needs and we’ll certainly do our best to assist. Phone +61 3 6236 9116 or email email@example.com. Please visit our Accessible Travel page for further details.